Alexander Mortakis was born on the island of Chios, in 1955.
- 1973: He graduated with distinction from the All-male High School of Chios, and in that same year was admitted with a scholarship in the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Athens.
- 1979: Graduated from the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Athens.
- 1980: His degree from the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Athens was recognised in the United States after he successfully passed the examinations of the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG).
- 1981-1982: Military service.
- 1983-1984: Specialization in General Surgery.
- 1985-1988: Specialization in Obstetric Gynaecology (University Clinic of the “Aretaieio Hospital”, Athens).
- 1988: He was awarded a PhD from the University of Athens.
- 1989-1990: Training in the University Gynaecological Clinic of San Francisco (California, USA), on the subjects of: HPV – Infection, Colposcopy, Gynaecological Endoscopy, Prevention of Gynaecological Cancer.
- 1991-1998: Scientific Associate of the University Clinic of the “Andreas Syggros” Hospital on the subject of: “HPV – Infection, Colposcopy and Diseases of the Vulva”.
- 1992: Establishment of the Laser department, in the “HERA” Maternity Hospital.
- 1993-1997: Founding member of the Department of Endoscopic Gynaecological Surgery and Laser at the “LETO” Maternity Hospital.
- 1998 to date: Has been in private practice and performs surgery at the “IASO” Maternity Hospital.
Alexander Mortakis is a member of many Greek and Foreign Scientific Societies, has participated in more than 200 conferences and has made many announcements and publications in Greek and foreign scientific journals. In addition to his basic training in Greece and the United States of America, he continued to receive further training in European and American centers on “Gynaecological Endoscopy” subjects (Laparoscopy, Hysteroscopy) and “minimum traumatic intervention surgical techniques”.
His work in the medical field has always focused on the Prevention of Gynaecological Cancer.
He believes that he has a duty not only to offer his services to his private patients, but also to support the training of his new colleagues.
He therefore continues to contribute in the training of new doctors and his colleagues in general, on the one hand by writing books (see writings), which he distributes himself free of charge, and on the other hand by participating as an invited speaker in conferences and seminars.
Since 1990, Alexander Mortakis has had an active role in scientific, organizing and consultative committees of seminars and conferences held throughout Greece, by both the “Hellenic Society for Cervical Colposcopy and Pathology” and the University Gynaecological Clinics of Athens, Thessaloniki and Ioannina.
He always participates as a trainer in the hands-on sessions of colposcopy seminars, where physicians are taught surgical techniques for the treatment of malignant lesions (modified Laser cone, excision of section of the cervix with the LEEP (Loop Electrosurgical Excisional Procedure) technique.
For eight years, from 1991 to 1998, when he worked as a Scientific Associate in the University Clinic of the Andreas Syggros Hospital, he had the pleasure of training dozens of resident physicians in colposcopy, in taking biopsies and the pathology of the female lower genital tract in general.
In 1990, Alexander Mortakis was the first to implement in Greece the LEEP technique, in the “LETO” maternity hospital, for the removal of malignant lesions from the uterine cervix. From 1990 to date, he has trained many young colleagues, both in his private practice and in the operating rooms of theLETO and IASO Maternity Hospitals in surgical techniques for removing malignant lesions.
On October 21, 2004, he received a special commendation by the Organising Committee of the 4th Pan-Hellenic Conference on “Colposcopy and Pathology of the Cervix” and the “Hellenic Society of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology”, for his writings and contribution in the training of his colleagues in “Colposcopy and the Pathology of the Uterine Cervix”.
On December 12, 2010 he received a special commendation in Prague, by the Czech Society of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology and was declared an honorary member of the Society, for his contribution over the previous years in the training of Czech gynaecologists in colposcopy and the pathology of the uterine cervix.
The most important speeches made in recent years by Alexander Mortakis (invited speaker) in medical conferences, seminars and training courses of university clinics are listed under “SPEECHES”. These speeches are offered free to colleagues and young physicians interested in receiving information, training and specialization on the specific scientific matters.
The majority of the speeches are on:
- HPV – Infection,
- Prevention of Cervical Cancer,
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Malignant Lesions,
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Genital Warts,
- Inflammations of the Cervix – Vagina – Vulva and Skin diseases of the Vulva,
- Chronic Vulvar Pain Syndromes,
- Pathology of the Female Lower Genital Tract.
Member of Scientific Societies:
- Hellenic Obstetrical and Gynaecological Society
- Hellenic Society of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology
- Hellenic Society of Gynaecological Endoscopy
- Hellenic Society of Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Hellenic Society of Gynaecological Oncology
- Hellenic Society of Research and Treatment of human papilloma virus (HPV)
- European Society of Gynaecology
- European Society of Gynaecological Oncology
- European Research Organization on Genital Infection and Neoplasia
- European Society for Gynaecological Endoscopy
- Advancing Minimally Invasive Gynaecology Worldwide
- American Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology
- American Association of Gynaecologic Laparoscopists
- American Fertility Society
- American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine
- Czech Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology (honorary member)