In 90% of genital wart cases, low-risk HPV types 6 and 11 are detected, while other types of HPV are detected in the remaining 10% (also oncogenic ones). Gardasil has been proven to provide a 92% protection against genital warts.
It is estimated that in all cervical cancer cases attributed to HPV:
- 70% of cases are caused by HPV 16 and 18 and
- 20% of cases are caused by HPV 31, 33, 45, 52, and 58.
- The other oncogenic types of HPV are responsible for the remaining 10%.
According to these data, the first Gardasil vaccine covers 70% of cervical cancer cases, while the new Gardasil 9 protects against 90% of cervical cancer cases, because it protects from infection with HPV 16, 18, 31, 33, 45, 52, and 58.
It is calculated that the seven oncogenic types of HPV (16, 18, 31, 33, 45, 52, and 58) which are covered by Gardasil 9, are also responsible for:
- 95% of anal cancers and
- 85% of vaginal and vulvar cancers (among cancers attributed to HPV).
It is anticipated that there will be a similar decrease in the probability of the above diseases in children who will be vaccinated with Gardasil 9.